Translate

Sunday 3 June 2012

Wish Lists and Trading

When I first started collecting Pyrenees postcards I searched all the Pyr magazines and books I could find to locate photos of cards that I could place on my wish list.  These photos I copied and placed in a binder under the tab "to Locate".  More pages were added as I befriended other breed collectors when they sent me their copy pages of the cards they had in their collections.  Over the years I have been able to find many of them but there are still one or two that have eluded me all this time.  Occasionally I find new images to add to the wish list of cards that are old, but new, to me.  Several of the cards I saw on ebay and, while I would have dearly loved to bring them home, I was often out bid by those with pocket books a lot deeper than mine.  If I knew the card was going way over my budget I just passed the information on to those collectors that I knew would be able to bid up and place the card in their own collection.  This weekend I hit the bonanza!  At least 3 cards on that wish list will be crossed off and replaced with the real thing...will post them up when I get them.  The neighbours must of thought I was off my rocker when they heard screeches of delight coming from my office when I was the successful bidder on one card that I wanted very badly.  I LOVE the hunt!


Of course, over time a collector will find themselves with duplicates.  This usually happens when you find a card in better condition than the one you have or when friends discover a Pyr card in their travels and purchase it for you.  Trouble is, what to do with them.  I often thought it would be a great idea to have a card exchange at every National and Regional Specialty.  The cards would certainly attract interest for those who attend and it would be a great opportunity to fill in some of the gaps in your collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment