Translate

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Champion Birouk, chien des Pyrenees, a M. Dretzen

"Did I do okay?", my friend Ronna asks.  She found this in a small market in France.  She told me that there were a lot of Pyr cards...she couldn't buy them all...so Ronna picked up ones that she knew I would be interested in.  She "did good" as I didn't know that this card existed and was very glad to add it to my collection.  This Pyr is identified as Champion Birouk belonging to M. Dretzen.  M. Dretzen's name comes up in early breed literature which, at a later time, I will dig up and expand on.  Cartes-postales de "L'Eleveur".  A very striking dog.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting tidbit: The earliest postcards (c. 1890) started with having an image on one side with only the address permitted on the back. In order to have room for a message small photos were used so that the message could be written on the same side as the picture...hence the large white strip. Because this card has a "divided" back where the address and the message could be written on the back, this card probably dates shortly after 1904.

    ReplyDelete